Monday 25 October 2010

Painting is Dead.

I feel like painters get slagged off a bit these days.
Like painting is a "Classical" thing, and art today should be more about shit in a can and bizarre films of people falling over.
And I feel like there's a back lash against "pretty".
As if to be "Art" today it has to be ugly and depressing and deep.
I don't think there is anything wrong with deep, I just don't think there's anything wrong with a bit of shallow happiness either.
For some people art is so cognitive and meaningful- "a rhetorical question posed by a wise monk devoting his life as a mute in the highest Himalayas for the quest of knowledge and enlightenment"
But for me, sometimes aren't is shallow, and pretty, it's a cheeky shag in the dark or a politically incorrect funny at someone else's expense.



Don't take it so fucking seriously!!!

So here are some paintings I enjoy. Cos they are colourful, and beautiful, and you don't need to read a plaque the length of the bible to like it.

Gary Hume Jasper Johns
Fiona Rae
Yves Klein

No comments:

Post a Comment